Why Communicate and Celebrate?
Communicating accomplishments and lessons learned from youth justice efforts can help get the word out, strengthen efforts, and honor those doing the work. Celebrating successes can help sustain and expand the work.
Key Questions to Consider
- How will we document the work being done and the lessons learned?
- How will we communicate successes and lessons learned with the community, stakeholders, funders, decision-makers, the public and more widely?
- How will we celebrate accomplishments and honor community champions?
- How will we use what is learned to improve our community engagement effort (e.g. feedback loops)?
- How will we institutionalize or sustain what works?
- How will we use what is learned to advocate for further community and system changes for youth justice?
Some Recommended Actions
- __ Document the work done, highlighting the process and lessons learned for others to learn from (e.g. conclusions and recommendations from the evaluation).
- __ Communicate lessons learned to communities and other stakeholders, decision-makers and wider audiences in other communities and countries.
- __ Engage the media in communicating success stories.
- __ Highlight the accomplishments and recognize champions, community members and outcomes. This may include through communication channels, at a ceremony, etc.
- __ Develop feedback loops to use the information from monitoring and evaluation to adjust strategies and interventions (e.g. guide improvements, resource allocation).
- __ Use the evaluation findings to advocate for sustained support of the efforts (e.g. institutionalize effective programs and policies) and/or for further practice, program and/or policy changes needed.
Resources to Help You Communicate and Celebrate
Resources from the Community Tool Box
Troubleshooting Guides for Solving Common Problems
Other Resources (reading, tools, examples, and PowerPoints)
- Chapter 4: Getting Issues on the Public Agenda
- Chapter 6: Communications to Promote Interest
- Chapter 39: Using Evaluation to Understand and Improve the Initiative
- Chapter 40: Maintaining Quality Performance
- Chapter 41: Rewarding Accomplishments
- Chapter 45: Social Marketing of Successful Components of the Initiative
- Chapter 46: Planning for Sustainability